MATHEMATICS IS COLORFUL !!
The Chinese Remainder Clock
A mathematical clock based on the Chinese Remainder Theorem.
Visualizing recurrence sequences
A sliding mask to visualize the recurrence relation for the Fibonacci sequence and any other recurrence sequence.
- Unmasking recurrence sequences, pdf, to appear in Pi in the Sky
(Issue 21, 2018).
This original idea (of 2014) was appreciated by the mathematikum
because they changed accordingly the exhibit about the Fibonacci numbers.
The Mastermind Wheel
A didactical tool for understanding Knuth's algorithm for winning Mastermind in at most five moves.
- The Master Mind Wheel (originally Mastermind Rad in Alexander Lang's Diploma Thesis) and some introductory Slides.
- with Thomas M. Fiore and Alexander Lang, Tactile tools for teaching: an implementation of Knuth's algorithm for mastering mastermind,
to appear in The College Mathematics Journal (planned for the September puzzles and games issue, 2018).
A didactical card game for learning the Congruence and Similarity Theorems for triangles.
- Sim!Cong!, The instructions and the set of printable cards (free for personal use, or use in class for instructors).
- Leaflet, Guidelines for commercial use (University of Luxembourg).
Triangles that are almost congruent.
- Creation of the Wikipedia page 5-Con triangles (user: Antonellaper).
- The article Driehoeken met onderling 5 gelijke zijden en hoeken, translated and edited by Luc Van den Broeck, to appear in the Dutch/Flemish magazine Uitwiskeling.
Here the English version.
A geometric construction for the gcd and the lcm.
- Creation of the Wikipedia page Arithmetic billiards (user: Antonellaper).
- The article Arithmetic billiards pdf (submitted version),
published in Plus Magazine (edited by Marianne Freiberger).
Math around the Clock
Various original mathematical clocks.
A mathematical exhibit around Pythagoras' Theorem.
- PytEuk, a puzzle that shows Pythagoras' Theorem
and the classical decomposition of the square on the hypothenuse.
A mathematical posters to learn notions around angles.
Created in collaboration with Alison Adams and Alexandre Lagarmitte. Free for personal use or for use in the classroom (non-commercial use only).
- Angles (the poster in English).
- Angles (the poster in French).
Mathematik zum Anfassen
Documentation about the mobile exhibition of the mathematikum.
- With the students of the Master of Secondary Education, the detailed description of the exhibition Mathematik zum Anfassen of the mathematikum.
- With Bruno Teheux, slides explaining some of the exhibits.
Exact trigonometric tables. COMING SOON!
The most difficult logical riddle.
Mathematical riddles for everyone. COMING SOON!
- with Jerry Hilgert, Riddelicious!, a selection of mathematical riddles: Luxembourgish version in
English, German, French
Visualisations of the Principle of Mathematical Induction. COMING SOON!
Further mathematical exhibits
Drehoskop (to explore solids).
GoFlex (composable flexible stripes).
- With Edith Wittman, Drehoskop, a tool to detect rotational symmetries for polyhedra (these can rotate on various axes).
- GoFlex, reconfigurable flexible stripes to create Möbius bands and other geometrical objects.
Further mathematical projects
Mockingjay Mathematics (movie-inspired problems).