MATHEMATICS IS COLORFUL !!
The Chinese Remainder Clock
A mathematical clock based on the Chinese Remainder Theorem.
Math around the Clock
Various original mathematical clocks.
One Quiz about plane geometry.
Visualizing recurrence sequences
A sliding mask to visualize the recurrence relation for the Fibonacci sequence and any other recurrence sequence.
- Unmasking recurrence sequences, pdf, to appear in Pi in the Sky
(Issue 21, 2018).
This original idea was appreciated by the mathematikum
because they changed accordingly the exhibit about the Fibonacci numbers.
The Mastermind Wheel
A didactical tool for understanding Knuth's algorithm for winning Mastermind in at most five moves.
A didactical card game for learning the Congruence and Similarity Theorems for triangles.
- Sim!Cong!, The instructions and the set of printable cards (free for personal use, or use in class for instructors).
- Leaflet, Guidelines for commercial use (University of Luxembourg).
Triangles that are almost congruent.
- Creation of the Wikipedia page 5-Con triangles.
- The article Driehoeken met onderling 5 gelijke zijden en hoeken, translated and edited by Luc Van den Broeck, Uitwiskeling, Jaargang 34, Nummer 3 (Zomer 2018).
A geometric construction for the gcd and the lcm.
A mathematical exhibit around Pythagoras' Theorem.
- PytEuk, an exhibit that shows Pythagoras' Theorem
and some related result by means of puzzles.
Multisets in Arithmetic
About the multiset of prime factors.
- Multisets in Arithmetic, article (submitted): divisibility properties are analyzed through the multiset of prime factors
(in particular, the lcm for several numbers is expressed in terms of the gcd).
- Discover multisets, pdf,
self-study material for talented pupils.
A mathematical posters to learn notions around angles.
Created in collaboration with Alison Adams and Alexandre Lagarmitte. Free for personal use or for use in the classroom (non-commercial use only).
- Angles (the poster in English).
- Angles (the poster in French).
Mathematik zum Anfassen
Documentation about the mobile exhibition of the mathematikum.
- With the students of the Master of Secondary Education, the detailed description of the exhibition Mathematik zum Anfassen of the mathematikum.
- With Bruno Teheux, slides explaining some of the exhibits.
The Babylonian tablet Plimpton 322.
Sines and cosines expressed by radicals.
- with Deborah Stranen, the article Understanding the Babylonian tablet 'Plimpton
322' with the decimal system (here the Slides).
The most difficult logical riddle.
Mathematical riddles for everyone.
- with Jerry Hilgert, Riddelicious, mathematical riddles set in the Luxembourgish context, in
English, German, French.
Illustrating the Principle of Mathematical Induction.
- with Milko Todorovic, the article Visualizing the Principle of Mathematical Induction (here the Slides) about the variants of the Principle of Mathematical Induction
and how to illustrate them.
Further mathematical exhibits
Drehoskop (to explore solids).
GoFlex (composable flexible stripes).
- With Edith Wittman, Drehoskop, a tool to detect rotational symmetries for polyhedra (these can rotate on various axes).
- GoFlex, reconfigurable flexible stripes to create Möbius bands and other geometrical objects.
Further mathematical projects
Mockingjay Mathematics (movie-inspired problems).
The Art Gallery Problem.
- An introductory article
about the Art Gallery Problem.